Monthly Archives: May 2014

Photoset: Aria, Kozue Amano, Part 2

Normally I update on Mondays, but I’ve missed a few recently so have a mid-week photoset!

malta10

I recently went to Malta to visit some family and couldn’t resist taking a costume to shoot! The scenery, buildings and the water there are so beautiful and it was perfect for Aria. I took Akari Mizunashi for another shoot and here are the results!

Photos were taken in Mellieha, Malta and at the Blue Lagoon, Comino.

Photos by Arphrial

malta1 malta2 malta3
malta4 malta5 malta6 malta7
malta8 malta9 malta11 malta12

Tagged , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Learning Curves: Alicia

I’ve been considering using this blog for some more musings, and with my current project I figured there’s no better time. I’ve been working on Alicia from Tales of Zestiria, the newest Tales of title to be announced. The design is absolutely gorgeous and I figured it’d be a fun challenge to try and make something a bit different.

This costume has the tagline of “I have no idea what I am doing”. Quite rightly so. I am pretty confused how this costume is even working, to be honest. Not that I’m complaining!

So here’s an article with what she looks like:

tales-of-zestiria-playstation-3_212616

I can sew things reasonably well and I usually make things with my own patterns, but this costume is different. Unlike most Tales of costumes I’ve made I don’t have a 3D model here and there are only a few references out right now, all of them with inconsistencies. There’s also armour on the costume which I’ve never tried before – I’m not very good at sculpting or making things with my hands, so it’s a pretty big costume project for me, especially considering how impatient I am.

So I figured I’d throw some progress up here to show how things are working out so far and to show the fruits of my labour so far!

10153814_618147648272282_3225446517328496452_n 1982164_619267561493624_8132577436780535195_n

So here’s the first bits of progress on the tunic and emblem; at first I painted the emblem and frankly it was a complete mess. So I scrapped it and embroidered it instead – it was machine embroidered in 12 seperate sections and had to be aligned bit by bit, which made it a long, difficult task, but the final result is pretty snazzy!

The tunic was patterned around the embroidered panel and is cut in one long piece including the front from an original pattern. The sleeves were also originally patterned to include the cut under the arm and the piping, which was pretty challenging but worked out nicely. This time spent on this tunic is probably the longest I’ve spent on a single garment for a costume and was a huge test of patience.

10250205_621569884596725_3094094025972334084_n 1509295_622073081213072_736093012948611719_n

And here’s some armour progress! So far these are the bracer panels. The base skeleton is made from yoga mat foam and covered in Worbla (available in the UK from Coscraft). Worbla is a heat activated mouldable thermoplastic material that hardens as it cools and is really easy to shape for armour or accessories. It’s my first time really using it on a big scale and it’s great stuff, a bit heavy when moulded but really sturdy and easy to use. It also moulds to itself so I’ve not used any glue here!

Once the armour shapes have been shaped I’ve been finger painting polyfilla onto each piece and smoothing it with water. Because the pieces are quite big altogether it’s taking a while but it’s turning out pretty nicely. Once the polyfilla has dried, I’m going to coat everything with a few layers of gesso and sand everything to smooth down the layers before spray painting the panels. It’s annoying waiting between layers, though, since the polyfilla and gesso take 2+ hours to dry per layer, and there’s tons to go!

The black panels at the top are made from clear sheets of thin polypropylene, which was spray painted black. This was also pretty terrifying. I tried making them from 3mm acrylic which went horribly wrong, whereas this stuff bends and paints and cuts so easily.

tales-of-zestiria-alice-dragoes-pn-n

Hopefully things are gonna continue to go smoothly here, but I guess I’ll see. So far it’s pretty frustrating having to wait but I’m really excited to see how this costume turns out. I’m due to wear it at Japan Expo, Paris, this July, so I’ve got just over a month to go!!

…That and once it’s finished, I can finally say I’ve done an ‘armoured’ costume and never have to make one again!

Tagged , , , , , , | 2 Comments on Learning Curves: Alicia