Tagged: tales of zestiria

Japan Expo: 1 Month to Go!

Japan Expo (held in Paris, France) is roughly a month away, and I’m absolutely terrified. I’ve never been to Japan Expo before so it’s a whole new experience, and there are so many amazing things happening there!! There’ll be tons of people from World Cosplay Summit 2013 there too so I can’t wait to see everyone again!

There are some amazing Tales of events happening, including the Tales of Ambassador competition. I’m entering this year (not that I think I have any chance to win – but nevermind!) and I can’t wait to meet more Tales fans there! And of course I can’t wait to go and see European Cosplay Gathering (ECG) for myself on the huge Japan Expo stage!

My current costume lineup is this: Madoka Kaname (Puella Magi Madoka Magica), Elize Lutus (Tales of Xillia), Rita Mordio (Tales of Vesperia) & Alicia (Tales of Zestiria).


Elize and Rita are both very simple costumes, but it means it’s less to pack and easier to wear. I also have one more super secret silly awesome costume in the works, but I can’t say anything about that yet!

Alicia’s armour is still underway so she has the most left to finish, but hopefully I’ll get her done soon with a few days of hard work ahead to get it all out of the way, tried and tested.
Madoka & Rita are almost done; just finishing touches to go, but they’re all time consuming and as always I’m just really impatient. It’s things like handsewing small details, bits of unpicking and resewing.. all of the little jobs I hate doing!
And thankfully Elize is a teeny job. I’m waiting on my hoodie arriving but otherwise she’s pretty much done! I’m probably looking forward to having an excuse to carry Teepo around with me the most!

So right now.. I should probably get back to sewing. There’s a lot of exciting stuff happening (and I’m about to send off my application for ECG this year too!) but time is just zooming past and I have so much to do!!

Tagged , , , , , , , , , | Leave a comment

Learning Curves: Alicia

I’ve been considering using this blog for some more musings, and with my current project I figured there’s no better time. I’ve been working on Alicia from Tales of Zestiria, the newest Tales of title to be announced. The design is absolutely gorgeous and I figured it’d be a fun challenge to try and make something a bit different.

This costume has the tagline of “I have no idea what I am doing”. Quite rightly so. I am pretty confused how this costume is even working, to be honest. Not that I’m complaining!

So here’s an article with what she looks like:


I can sew things reasonably well and I usually make things with my own patterns, but this costume is different. Unlike most Tales of costumes I’ve made I don’t have a 3D model here and there are only a few references out right now, all of them with inconsistencies. There’s also armour on the costume which I’ve never tried before – I’m not very good at sculpting or making things with my hands, so it’s a pretty big costume project for me, especially considering how impatient I am.

So I figured I’d throw some progress up here to show how things are working out so far and to show the fruits of my labour so far!

10153814_618147648272282_3225446517328496452_n 1982164_619267561493624_8132577436780535195_n

So here’s the first bits of progress on the tunic and emblem; at first I painted the emblem and frankly it was a complete mess. So I scrapped it and embroidered it instead – it was machine embroidered in 12 seperate sections and had to be aligned bit by bit, which made it a long, difficult task, but the final result is pretty snazzy!

The tunic was patterned around the embroidered panel and is cut in one long piece including the front from an original pattern. The sleeves were also originally patterned to include the cut under the arm and the piping, which was pretty challenging but worked out nicely. This time spent on this tunic is probably the longest I’ve spent on a single garment for a costume and was a huge test of patience.

10250205_621569884596725_3094094025972334084_n 1509295_622073081213072_736093012948611719_n

And here’s some armour progress! So far these are the bracer panels. The base skeleton is made from yoga mat foam and covered in Worbla (available in the UK from Coscraft). Worbla is a heat activated mouldable thermoplastic material that hardens as it cools and is really easy to shape for armour or accessories. It’s my first time really using it on a big scale and it’s great stuff, a bit heavy when moulded but really sturdy and easy to use. It also moulds to itself so I’ve not used any glue here!

Once the armour shapes have been shaped I’ve been finger painting polyfilla onto each piece and smoothing it with water. Because the pieces are quite big altogether it’s taking a while but it’s turning out pretty nicely. Once the polyfilla has dried, I’m going to coat everything with a few layers of gesso and sand everything to smooth down the layers before spray painting the panels. It’s annoying waiting between layers, though, since the polyfilla and gesso take 2+ hours to dry per layer, and there’s tons to go!

The black panels at the top are made from clear sheets of thin polypropylene, which was spray painted black. This was also pretty terrifying. I tried making them from 3mm acrylic which went horribly wrong, whereas this stuff bends and paints and cuts so easily.


Hopefully things are gonna continue to go smoothly here, but I guess I’ll see. So far it’s pretty frustrating having to wait but I’m really excited to see how this costume turns out. I’m due to wear it at Japan Expo, Paris, this July, so I’ve got just over a month to go!!

…That and once it’s finished, I can finally say I’ve done an ‘armoured’ costume and never have to make one again!

Tagged , , , , , , | 2 Comments on Learning Curves: Alicia